PRP which stands for Platelet-Rich Plasma, is a procedure that involves a simple blood draw and the separation of the platelets centrifuge. The resulting specimen is then re-injected into specific areas, releasing growth factors that promote natural tissue healing. Platelets are a natural source of a number of growth factors in their pure and biologically determined ratios. This procedure is used to promote hair growth, as well as to treat the effects of aging on the skin, and can even be used for sexual rejuvenation (The O-shot)
What to Expect with Platelet-Rich Plasma
A PRP treatment is really relatively simple. Upon arriving for your appointment, you will be brought back to a treatment room where one of our expertly trained staff, will draw a vial of your blood, similar to what you would have done for routine labs, that is then placed in a Centrifuge to extract the plasma. This process takes approximately 10 minutes to complete. The Centrifuge is used to ensure optimal platelet recovery and consistency. Upon the completion of the plasma preparation, your provider will then re-inject the plasma into the desired treatment area. There may be some temporary discomfort or possible redness and inflammation at the application site that should quickly resolve. The total procedure can take as little as 30 minutes to complete, depending on the specific treatment being performed. Your consultation will include the development of a personalized treatment plan to determine how many treatments are necessary for your desired outcome.
History of PRP
PRP was first developed in the 1970s and first used in Italy in 1987 in an open heart surgery procedure. It has since been applied to many different medical fields such as cosmetic surgery, dentistry, sports medicine and pain management. Since the autologous Platelet-Rich Plasma (PRP) is produced from a patient’s own blood, there is virtually no risk of an allergic reaction or rejection.
The results of treatment are varying depending on what we are treating. For hair loss, you may start to see results in about 4-8 months, after 3-4 treatments. Treatments are
typically done 4 weeks apart. PRP creates impressive results both as an isolated procedure or when incorporated into a treatment plan with hyaluronic acid fillers, neuromodulators and laser technology. If we are adding on to a treatment with PRP topically, improvements may be seen in as little as 6 weeks.
PRP pricing depends on the area you’re having treated and the number of treatments you need for your desired results. We encourage you to come in for a consultation at which point we can give you a more precise idea of cost. As an estimate, a 3 treatment package for hair loss is $1800, whereas a smaller areas or PRP used in conjunction with a dermal filler will cost significantly less.
How long will the visits last?
- As with the cost, the time required to administer the PRP will depend on the area being treated. In most cases, when used for skin rejuvenation, the visit can be as little as 30-minutes
How many treatments will I need?
- The number of treatments you will need depends on your specific treatment goals and desired outcome. Typically, patients receive their desired outcomes in 4-6 treatments.
Can a PRP treatment be painful?
- PRP is close to a physiologic pH, which means the product is less likely to cause a stinging or burning sensation. There may be some temporary discomfort or possible redness and inflammation at the application site, but quickly resolves.
Is PRP safe?
- Since the autologous Platelet-Rich Plasma (PRP) is produced from a patient’s own blood, there is virtually no risk of an allergic reaction or rejection.
How long will the positive effects of PRP last?
- It varies depending on your particular condition of skin and what we are treating. Results can last for years if you follow the suggestions and treatment plan recommended by your provider.
What is Platelet-Rich-Plasma?
- Autologous Platelet-Rich Plasma, also known as PRP, is a high concentration of your own platelets in a small volume of plasma.
How much does PRP cost?
- The cost of PRP depends on the areas being treated and the recommended number of treatments suggested
What are the expected side effects of PRP?
- As with any injection-based treatment, infection is a slight possibility. Possible irritation in the treated area can occur, but should subside quickly.
How far in between do the PRP treatments have to be?
- We recommend 4-6 weeks in between sessions to allow for full healing time.
Are you a candidate for PRP?
PRP is suited for men and women seeking hair restoration, or looking for enhanced results on top of their facial rejuvenation procedures, as well as to restore sexual health. The PRP procedure is customizable for any lifestyle and beauty regimen. Contact us at MedSpa@InnovativeExpressCare.com to setup your free consultation and find out if PRP is the right option for you.